As we went into the room, we noticed a couple of things—inadequate amount of towels, a wet dirty towel hanging on the back of the bathroom door and hair and dirt on the bathroom floor. A large patch of drywall was missing above the shower and in its place was mildewed wood—very unappealing indeed.
We went to the main desk to complain and all they did was to take the dirty towel and have us follow the manager to a laundry room to get more towels.
After coming back from a long day at the boardwalk, we opened up the pull out bed to be greeted with a blast of stale cigarette smoke (again, this was to be a non smoking room) and no bedding on the bed. I called the desk but there was no answer so I walked to the office again and told them about the bed. I was told I had to make up the bed myself because there wasn’t anyone to ‘do those things’ So, I again went to the laundry room to get sheets, blankets, pillows and made the bed myself.
Later, my husband went to the pool to swim and when he came back out of the gate, he cut his hand on the sign that was wired to the gate. (the wires were sticking straight out) After we complained, there was not even an apology. My husband is on blood thinners and got blood on the sheets and pillow case. The next day, the sheets were changed, but the pillow case was not. The bathroom floor was still dirty.
We used the coffeemaker in the morning, but it was never emptied or cleaned the next day. A new pack of coffee was simply thrown on top of the coffeemaker.
Next to the refrigerator, microwave, nightstand was a bundle of cords linking the appliances, clock and lamp together. It was right in front of the nightstand—both a tripping and fire hazard as these were very light extension cords that were attached. I do have a photo of this.
By the way, my husband, my daughter and I all developed athlete’s foot from the bathroom floor or shower—this is also extremely unpleasant.
This was by far the worst experience of a hotel stay that we ever had. I can’t even begin to tell you how difficult it was to sleep in knowing how dirty the place was, how it reeked of smoke and how non-caring the manager was. It was so bad that I complained to the Ramada headquarters while we were there, but as of yet nothing has been done. I feel that we should be reimbursed the entire stay for what we were put through on this ‘vacation’