Today was another of those days–the St John of the Cross, “Dark night of the soul” days. As I was unable to sleep at 2 a.m. I got up and began to pray for everyone that God placed on my heart. I prayed for all those estranged from us, prayed for all those who chose to forget us in our time of trial, prayed for those who hurt us and asked for forgiveness for those whom I have wronged. I also prayed for certain spiritual leaders in our life who have acted as anything but spiritual leaders and then, asked our Lord for one small miracle today to show me that He had heard my prayers.
I can honestly say that I did not get one, but three: Heard from a friend who is also struggling with serious issues, but, for some reason, he decided today to send me an encouraging note. God bless you Joe. My son, Erin came home from boarding school and filled my heart with joy, and then later, I heard from another dear friend whom I have known for about 20 years. She wanted to see how I was doing after my surgery. Blessings abound, and despite it all, they are all living proof that God does hear my prayers. He knew what I needed today and blessed me with that.
As we weave into Thanksgiving this week, the following words of encouragement helped me through the day and perhaps they will help you as well. Thank you for sending them to me, Maureen! I love you.
“I am leaving you with a gift-peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid ” NLT
A young man whose life is in severe turmoil has a dream. In his dream he has a discussion with the Lord. As they are talking the young man asks the Lord a question, “What type of changes would be appropriate for my life? The Lord responds, “Are you sure you want to know.” The young man thinks for a moment and says, “yes, this is heavy on my heart.”
Jesus accommodates the young man as follows:
1. Stop Worrying: I am here to take all your burdens and carry them for you
2. Put it on MY list: I can’t help you until you turn your burdens over to Me.
3. Talk to ME: I want to be your best friend and hear all about your day.
4. Leave it alone: Place your burdens with ME and forget about them.
5. Trust ME: Know that when you ask I will answer — yes, no or wait.
6. Love Yourself: You are very precious to ME just the way you are.
7. Have Faith: That I will do the best for you in all circumstances.
8. Share: Giving is not a money problem — it’s a faith problem.
9. Be Patient: MY timing is in your best interest and perfect.
10. Be Kind: To yourself and to all others.
Then the young man awoke with a peace he had never felt before.
Prayer: Father help me implement these 10 guidelines to bring the peace of Jesus into my life and stick with ’em. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen!